This large and notable project was designed by local Columbus architect Charles Wurdeman in a Neo-Classical Revival style reflected in Grecian Ionic columns. It features smooth Bedford limestone on the upper floors and rusticated stone on the first floor. Building entrances are adorned with triangular pediments and two-story Ionic columns extend from the second to the third floor. The names of the City of Columbus founders are carved above upper-story windows. The interior features a wainscot of imported Italian marble. Initial construction bids were rejected as being too costly and the county proceeded with construction by hiring its own clerk of works for the pay-as-you-go project.
The first Platte County Courthouse was built in 1870 on Columbia Square bounded by 9th and 10th Streets and 20th and 21st Avenues. The new location was heatedly debated, delaying the project until it was decided to place it where newer downtown businesses were flourishing.
The Platte County Courthouse was added to the National Historic Registry in 1990.
Check out the Platte County Website for more history about our community and to contact county personnel by clicking here.