The proprietor, Evans Hotel Co., was led by president and hotel manager George Scott who owned the Clother Hotel. Dr. C.D. Evans served as Vice President. The main floor featured a spacious lobby with tile floor and white marble finishes. There was a parlor for the ladies and a writing room for the men equipped with individual desks. Of the 75 sleeping rooms, half were furnished in oak and half in mahogany. The hotel was designed so all rooms had windows with access to sunlight. There was a private dining room and sample rooms in the basement for salesmen to show their wares. Other amenities included a billiard room, barber shop, and filtered ice water in the lobby.
The Evans Hotel was dedicated on December 3, 1913. It was the last of Columbus’ luxury hotels and the only one constructed in the 20th Century.
The Hotel featured firsts, hot and cold running water, and local and long-distance telephone service in every room. It also had an electric elevator, central vacuum system and refrigeration system to make ice.
It was purchased, renamed, and remodeled by Downtowner, Inc. in 1971.