Anders Christian Andersen originally homesteaded east of Creston in 1876. The family had previously changed the spelling of their last name from “sen” to “son” when Anders went to school and his teacher spelled it “son”. Anders complained upon arriving home for the day, but his father replied that since they were now in America, they would spell their name how it was spelled in America.
By 1882, Anders had started a seed business and began publishing Floral World Magazine quarterly which sold for 25 cents per year and had hand-sewn binding. In 1899, he moved his floral business to Columbus. By 1929, there were seven 30′ x 100′ greenhouses and two blocks of planted flowers. The family home which still stands today as well as a salesroom, workroom, and furnace to heat the greenhouses also occupied the 8th Street complex.
Anderson Floral served as the downtown retail sales outlet for a large greenhouse and floral operation at the 1300 block of 8th Street. Anderson Floral was operated through 4 generations of the Anderson family and was the oldest continual floral operation in the state prior to closing. The Anderson name is laid out in tile at the building entrance.